As a playful end to our sneak peeks, and because listicles appear to be all the rage these days, here are 21 moments when the Roman de Fauvel strikingly depicted what student life can be like.
1. When the teacher asks for a volunteer but no one wants to:
2. The look on your faces when you and your classmates pretend you love a certain theory because your tutor claims it is awesome:
3. That feeling you get when it’s late in the semester and all your deadlines are catching up to you:
4. That awkward moment when your friend catches you making selfies during class:
5. When the teacher finds out you didn’t do the required readings for their seminar:
6. When you obtain your driver’s license and your parents finally allow you to drive their car for the first time:
7. When you’re going to order pizza, but none of your friends can agree on what they want:
8. That moment when you realise it’s been too long since you last went out for drinks and now you can’t hold your liquor anymore:
9. When the teacher is basically just reading their powerpoint out loud and you start to wonder why you pay so much tuition every year:
10. When you’re trying to fall asleep, but then you suddenly get visited by a feeling of guilt for not finishing that one deadline yet:
11. When the class doesn't know what to do, but no one wants to ask the teacher for information:
12. When you finally find the time to go to a party and everyone goes crazy:
13. … but then you and your friends get so drunk you need a taxi to get back home:
14. That feeling when you sold your soul to write the perfect essay, but your teacher still thought it wasn’t all that great:
15. When you try to catch up on course readings but your friends won’t stop asking you to go for drinks:
16. When you’re wondering if maybe you should give up higher education and sell your body instead:
17. Trying to balance sleep, academia, and a healthy social life:
18. When, after the exam, you discuss your answers with your classmates and you start questioning everything you wrote:
19. When you’re trying to convince your teacher that the death of your favourite fictional character warrants an extension of your deadline:
20. When you’ve been locked inside for days trying to find a good angle for your research paper and suddenly you get blessed with inspiration:
21. And finally (hopefully), when you present your early findings at a conference and get unexpected approval from all the scholars present:
This post marks the end of our regular sneak peeks. We hope that you have enjoyed them, and that they have persuaded you to attend our conference this Thursday. If you would like to come but haven't registered yet, you can still do so here.
This blog is run by the students who organise the CMEMS Conference. Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, one of the students will post a small sneak preview indicating the content of their conference presentation.